Undergraduate students (from any major or discipline) can receive one-time funds for internships or volunteer programs in Latin America, the Caribbean, the Iberian Peninsula. Domestic programs will be considered if the work is related to the LACIS field of study. The internships and volunteer programs will be carried out in public institutions, or well-established NGOs. Students from any nationality and citizenship are eligible to apply. Please note that preference is given to declared LACIS majors. Please check with LACIS' undergraduate advisor, Sarah Ripp, about your plans before submitting an application to ensure it meets our criteria. Read post-internship reports from former grant recipients.
For spring and summer 2017 internships: Friday, April 7th, 2017.
(Note: Applications may be considered at other times if funds are available.)
Before beginning our on-line application, please make sure you have completed the following requirements and obtained the necessary documentation in electronic format:
- Letter of Intent describing the internship/program you wish to use funds for (maximum 2 pages, typed, double-spaced)
- Letter/Email of acceptance from hosting institution
- Unofficial UW-Madison transcript; GPA minimum of 3.5 within your major(s)
- Demonstrate Spanish or Portuguese language proficiency (Choose One):
- Complete the language requirements for the LACIS major (a minimum of 4 courses above the 220 level in Spanish or Portuguese)
- Obtain certification of language proficiency (language proficiency is typically confirmed through the completion of a "Language Proficiency Exam" which is administered on a rolling basis by the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
- If you are unable to schedule the aforementioned exam in time to submit your application, please contact a faculty or staff member who can attest to your language skills and ask him/her to submit a letter confirming this information. Please attach their letter to your application package.
- One letter of recommendation from a UW faculty or staff member associated with the topic/area/field as it pertains to the internship
A brief, two page long final report relating your experiences and tasks is due within a month of completion of your internship. Please submit your report to Sarah Ripp at email@example.com. Please bear in mind that this report/summary will be placed on our website for public access.
Read Previous Research and Internship Grant Reports