- This event has passed.
Migration Seminar Series – “Providing Legal Services to Women and Children Seeking Asylum in Detention”
October 7, 2020 @ 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm
A group of second and third year law students along with the Director of the Immigrant Justice Clinic at the University of Wisconsin Law School will describe their volunteer work at the South Texas Family Residential Center in Dilley, Texas. They volunteered for a week with women and children in a detention center to help them prepare for Credible Fear Interviews, one of the first steps in the asylum process. They will describe the current state of detention and the new regulatory asylum bars that have almost closed our southern border to all asylum seekers.
- Juan Jose Fonseca Angel: Third Year Law Student
- Angela O’Brien: Associate Attorney at Quarles & Brady
- Julia Jagow: Associate Attorney at Boardman and Clark
- Perla Rubio Terrones: Clinical Instructor at the Immigrant Justice Clinic at UW Law School
- Margaret Morris: Third Year Law Student
- Nancy Cruz: Associate Attorney at Michael Best
- Naomi Smith: Third Year Law Student
- Ramuel Figueroa: Third Year Law Student
with Moderator Erin Barbato, Director of the Immigrant Justice Clinic at UW-Madison’s Law School